VMware PowerCLI and Customized Scripts
The deployment of the Mobile SDDC will include the use of VMware PowerCLI and scripts created by the following individuals:
- MobileSDDC script (Created by Wen Bin Tay, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- PowerNSX script (Created by Nick Bradford, email@example.com)
The MobileSDDC script will deploy VMware’s virtualization platform which include vCenter Server Appliance (VCSA), Nested ESXi (aka vSphere), NSX and a Three-Tier Web Application. In addition, the MobileSDDC script will leverage on a modified version of the PowerNSX script to deploy and configure the various NSX components.
VMware has written a blog post on the latest PowerCLI as of 17 Nov 2016. The blog post includes the PowerCLI user guide and download link: https://blogs.vmware.com/PowerCLI/2016/11/new-release-powercli-6-5-r1.html
Bare-Metal Physical Server
To deploy the Mobile SDDC, you will need a bare-metal physical server. We are using the Mini PC Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK as our “bare-metal physical server” for the Mobile SDDC.
The photo above is taken from Intel’s website.
The specifications of the NUC Kit are as follows:
- Processor: 6th generation Intel Core i7-6770HQ processor (2.6 to 3.5 GHz turbo, Quad Core, 6 MB Cache, 45W TDP)
- System Memory: 32GB (Kingston DDR4 2133)
- Storage: Intel M.2 480GB 540 series (spare M.2 slot for additional capacity)
- Peripheral Connectivity:
- Intel Gigabit LAN
- One Thunderbolt 3 port with USB 3.1
- Four Super Hi-Speed USB 3.0 ports
- One HDMI 2.0 port and One Mini DisplayPort
To prepare the NUC Kit for the deployment of the Mobile SDDC, please take a look at William Lam’s blog post. William has provided a comprehensive write-up on deploying ESXi on the NUC Kit:
To install ESXi (non-nested) on the NUC Kit, you would need to create a bootable USB flash drive for ESXi installation with Rufus. You can download Rufus via this link: https://rufus.akeo.ie/
Note: You can use any bare-metal physical server as the Mobile SDDC script is hardware-agnostic.